Position Title: Procurement and Logistics Officer
Duty Station: Mogadishu, Somalia
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 27 October 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Resources Management and under the direct supervision of the Supply Chain Officer, the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for providing support and coordination of logistics and procurement activities in the Country Office , guided by the principles of:
• Best value for money
• Accountability, integrity and transparency
• Fairness and effective competition
• Best interest of IOM.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Assist the Supply Chain Officer in the management and implementation of IOM Somalia Country Office’s logistics/procurement activities including purchasing, contracting, facilities maintenance and asset administration to support the implementation of projects.
Coordinate with the Supply Chain Officer regarding all procurement, logistics and service requirements.
Manage and supervise the local and international procurement of goods and ensure that the Organization's procurement procedures are strictly followed.
Issue requests for proposals to reliable suppliers, evaluate bids in close consultation with Manila Field Procurement Unit and make recommendations to the Head of Resources Management and Chief of Mission for finalization of purchases.
Prepare technical system specifications and liaise with Resources Management Unit (RMU) to advise and guide on procurement processing, assist RMU colleagues and Project Officers in defining and expressing functional specifications for the offices and specific projects.
Implement appropriate internal control mechanism to safeguard the Country Office’s assets.
Supervise and undertake physical and electronic inventory of Country Office’s assets. Ensure up-to-date inventories, tracking and recording of inventory and fixed assets, and the accurate reflection of these items in PRISM.
Supervise and monitor the upgrade, maintenance and repair of office facilities, including preventive maintenance in close coordination with Staff Security Unit to ensure offices are Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS) compliant.
Coordinate and liaise with Finance Unit to facilitate prompt and accurate payment processing.
Ensure timely submission of procurement reports for donor reporting as required.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master's degree in Business Administration, Management, Logistics, Procurement or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in managing diverse procurement and logistics operations in an international organization;
• Experience in asset management processes and procedures;
• Experience in working with vendors and service providers in compliance with IOM’s Procurement procedures and standards to secure cost-effective quality solutions.
• Excellent level of computer literacy and advanced knowledge of SAP/PRISM is required;
• Proficient in computer MS Office;
• Extensive knowledge of IOM or UN internal procurement and financial rules and corresponding ERP components (preferably SAP-based); and
• Specialized knowledge of logistics and procurement to timely source goods and services.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Somali, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.