The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The International Rescue Committee has been working in Somalia since 2006, providing essential services to conflict and disaster affected communities. The IRC has been operational in Central Somalia (Mudug and Galgadud regions) and Mogadishu implementing interventions in the areas of livelihood, WASH, Governance and peacebuilding, GBV, Nutrition, education and health reaching out to more than 200,000 conflict and drought affected people.
The Senior Health and Nutrition Manager will be working under the direct supervision of the Deputy Health Coordinator and will be responsible providing quality of health and nutrition care services to patients as per WHO/IRC protocols and international benchmarks.
- Conduct technical support visits to the health facilities and outreach health and nutrition sites to ensure that maternal and child health/nutrition services are being provided according to national standards and protocols.
- She/he will ensure the implementation of a quality health and nutrition program in the target health facilities and outreach sites in accordance with acceptable national and international standards.
- She/he will provide capacity building and on the job training to health and nutrition staff in the health facilities and in the outreach sites and ensure the Somalia standard treatment guidelines and protocols are adhered
- She/he will collect and analyse health and nutrition related data from all the health facilities and the outreach sites to ensure accurate and timely data is availed for program decisions and monitoring.
- Work in close collaboration with the MOH regional and district focal points and ensure HMIS reports are submitted accurately and timely by all health facilities using the DHIS tool.
- Conduct supportive supervision to ensure programme quality, accurate health and nutrition data reporting and appropriate use of medical drugs and nutrition supplies.
- Compile and submit quality program reports.
- Ensure all health facilities and outreach sites have appropriate stock management cards (bin cards) and cross check this with supply consumption registers for any discrepancies.
- Submit timely and accurate monthly consumption report for all health teams and outreach sites. Maintain accurate and up to date health service data from the HMIS tool and conduct trend analysis.
- Participate and represent IRC in health forums such as health cluster meetings and working groups.
- Ensure proper documentation of achievements, lessons learnt, and best practices throughout the program implementation.
- Support the development of work plans, reporting and monitoring and evaluation plans.
- University degree in public health, Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing, Nutrition and related technical field.
- Clear understanding of the intersection between health, nutrition, WASH and food security.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to lead, train and motivate a team.
- At least three years of similar experience in Health, Nutrition and public health fields.
- Fluency in English required both oral and written.
- Good knowledge of computer management and applications.
- Proven analytical, communication/ negotiation skills and ability to think strategically.
- Willingness/ability to travel to locations and live in challenging environments.
- Experience of working collaboratively with local and national government