Job Title: Senior Advisor for Development & International Relations
Type of appointment: Secondment
Reports to: Permanent Secretary, Office of the Prime Minister
Advisory to: Prime Minister and the Permanent secretary
Job Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Contract Period: One year, renewable
Purpose of the Position:
The Senior Advisor for Development & International Relations is a temporary function but exceptionally senior portfolio in the Federal Government of Somalia. The position holder will Assist the office of the Prime Minister and the person of the Prime Minister in particular in strengthening International Relations and leading developmental issues across the country. However, through enabling the relevant line ministries and ensuring smooth implementation of the development agenda of the government, He/She will be part/member of the senior team supporting the Prime Minister which will be fully integrated into the functions of the current government. The position holder is expected to possess technical Capacity that will assist/support the Prime Minister deliver on his priorities. He/She is expected to identify technical Capacity Gaps at the Prime Minister’s office and liaise with the sector leads within the Prime Minister’s office and finally source for funding support to fill such gaps.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The Senior Advisor for Development & International Relations will work under the supervision of the Permanent Secretary, and at the same time will have direct access to the Prime Minister to provide high level advisory support to the prime minister.
Among other things, the Senior Advisor for Development & International Relations may:
· Give support in any emerging priority or routine aspects at the Prime Minister’s office, and provide substantive and viable policy advice on Development & international relations.
· Promote and Undertake long term policy vision and effectively contribute to critical policy planning within the Office of the Prime Minister.
· Establish and lead a joint programme committee, comprising of the supporting donor fraternity, government and other relevant partner representations, whilst at the same time holding quarterly or bi-annual review and discussion meetings in order to develop a common approach and coordination structure in all capacity development programmes.
· Develop together with ACU, NIS and relevant MDAs a system for performance monitoring of all advisors and support to programmes including gathering performance evidence and holding mandatory regular feedback meetings with all advisors. Devise a system that shall compel all MDA offices to undertake and strengthen project performance and implementation monitoring.
· Develop a strategy on how to utilize Somali diaspora expertise in a targeted way whose ultimate results should have tangible positive effects to capacity strengthening of government institutions.
· Develop a strategy on how to integrate technical capacity support programs into the mainstream annual institutional planning and budgeting process for all MDAs to institutionalize and ensure to devise modalities the shall improve evidence- based planning, programming, accountability and monitoring of support received.
· Develop a strategy on how to incorporate twinning or pairing of TAs with civil servants’ staff in all capacity building support to emphasize on coaching, mentorship and joint completion of tasks as most effective knowledge and skills transfer approaches and tools.
· While representing the office of the Prime Minister when required, the person of the position is required to develop and maintain effective relationships with representatives of the international community on matters related to development and government policies.
In working with other staff f at the OPM and government line ministries, the Senior Advisor for Development & International Relations will perform the below listed tasks:
· Convey the Prime Minister’s views to international and civil society partners and work with government institutions in following up development and reform agenda of the prime minister.
· Provide policy analysis in development and international matters to the PS and PM. He/She will Coordinate and liaise with partners and relevant line ministries on the provision of information and data that will inform the government direction and reform.
· Produce options for opinions and government papers as well as talking points to inform the PM and OPM on regional as well as international matters.
· Lead and Identify Subject Matter Specialist to Study and present solutions to selected developmental issues.
· Work with international partners on transforming development assistance through the implementation of the Somalia road map in harmony with NDP.
· Assist the PS and OPM in facilitating different developmental events including outreach activities to civil sociality and partners.
· Contribute to the ongoing institutional establishment and systemizing capacities in all the government institutions.
Required Qualifications & Skills:
· Advanced/Master’s Degree in Development, international relations, analysis, economics, communications, or relevant fields.
· Deep knowledge and understanding of operational approaches and methodologies across a broad range of advocacy and external engagement disciplines—e.g. Relevant Government policies, advocacy, communications, campaigning and resource identifications and tracking.
· Strong understanding of advocacy and external engagement design, monitoring and evaluation, including the development of multi- disciplinary results frameworks.
· Experience in enabling collaboration and consensus building across multi- disciplinary and multi-cultural teams, including virtual teams at the Prime Ministers offices and International partners.
· Demonstrated ability to think strategically, synthesize complex information and develop innovative influencing and engagement approaches.
· Ability to lead independently on fast-paced issues, tight deadlines and the ability to juggle competing demands.
· Minimum of 10 years senior-level working experience in governments or in civil society organizations and preferably in the set up of Somalia.
· Must have served as a senior advisor to the top level of Somali Government at both Federal and Regional Level.
· Having documented evidence of working in Government ministries/municipalities will be an added advantage.
· Strong experience as senior an advisory role in Somalia government.
· Knowledge and experience in Somali expert’s capacity building and/or Somali Institutions capacity support.
· Excellent writing and communication skills.
· Excellent diplomatic and negotiation skills.
· Extensive network of partners within the development cooperation communities of practice.
· Knowledgeable in the current political landscape of Somalia.
· Fluency in written and Spoken Somali and English. Ability to speak other languages would be an advantage.
Somali Diaspora are encouraged to apply.
Somali Women Candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
NOTE: Besides CVs which MUST NOT Exceed FIVE pages, it is MANDATORY that, applicants submit their cover/Motivation letter. Applications without Cover WILL NOT be Considered**