Country Finance Officer - Hargeisa Somali-National only
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Reports to: Country Finance Coordinator
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Dimensions: Save the Children has been working in Somalia for more than 60 years. The Country Office has over 600 staff across 14 field offices (Boroma, Burao and Hargeisa in Somaliland; Bossaso, Garowe, Galkayo and Gardo in Puntland; Beletweyne, Adaado, Abudwak, Baidoa, Kismayo, Dhobley and Mogadishu in southern states). Our Country Office coordination and administration base is in Nairobi, Kenya. In 2017, as a result of significant scale up for the countrywide drought response, our annual spend FY2017 was US$117 million and we reached more than 2 million people through our humanitarian and longer-term development work in Health, Nutrition, Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH), Education, Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL), Child Protection and Child Rights Governance. The Country Office manages 61 active awards totalling US$165 million from a range of governmental/institutional donors, including DFID, ECHO, EU, FFP, OFDA, and DANIDA being some of our largest.
ROLE PURPOSE: To assist the Country Finance Coordinator in the Day to Day operations of Save the Children Somalia/Land Country Finance, to ensure that all financial general Journal documents are correctly Recorded and in an easily accessible way, to work closely and support Field Finance Staff, To Ensure compiling and filling Country MFR documents, posting GLACOSes and working with Auditors Internal/External.In the absence of the programme DPM the post holder will coordinate the implementation of programme activities in Galgadud region .
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Qualified professional accountant (internationally recognised qualification, practical experience equivalent will be considered) with substantial post qualification accounting experience
- At least 3 years of experience in similar capacity with well-developed skills in financial management, supervision and capacity building
- Proven track record of supporting a senior management team, and providing strategic support across multiple sectors.
- Knowledge of the requirements of the major emergency donors and experience in budgeting and reporting to donors.
- Good attention to detail and analytical skills
- Computer literate (i.e. WORD, advanced Excel, Outlook, Internet Explorer, financial systems).
- Cultural awareness and ability to build relationships quickly with a wide variety of people
- Patient, adaptable, flexible, able to improvise and remain responsive and communicate clearly and effectively under pressure
- Excellent planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a workload comprised of varying and changing tasks and responsibilities
- Strong communication (written and spoken), and interpersonal skills in English.
- Appropriate training experience.
- Familiarity with financial systems preferred.
- Strong budgeting/accounting/finance skills.
- Accurate and detail oriented, with ability to see the big picture.
- Ability to complete work in a timely manner while working on simultaneous tasks.
- Ability to maintain high quality of work, both in presentation and accuracy.
- Ability and desire to learn new concepts/skills quickly.
- Strong problem solving, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Ability to gather facts and data, scrutinize with ease, determine a logical solution and resolve issues with very minimal supervision.
- Ability to anticipate and plan trends and workload. Strong interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to work the time necessary to complete critical tasks without being asked.
- Ability to work longer hours than other finance team in the field offices.
- Commitment to Save the Children's values, vision and mission.
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at
Application will be close on 14th April 2021.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents