Senior SAGAL Social Protection Technical Advisor- MoLSA -Mogadishu Somali-National only
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Reports to: AR
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Dimensions: Save the Children has been working in Somalia for more than 60 years. The Country Office has over 600 staff across 14 field offices (Boroma, Burao and Hargeisa in Somaliland; Bossaso, Garowe, Galkayo and Gardo in Puntland; Beletweyne, Adaado, Abudwak, Baidoa, Kismayo, Dhobley and Mogadishu in southern states). Our Country Office coordination and administration base is in Nairobi, Kenya. In 2017, as a result of significant scale up for the countrywide drought response, our annual spend FY2017 was US$117 million and we reached more than 2 million people through our humanitarian and longer-term development work in Health, Nutrition, Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH), Education, Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL), Child Protection and Child Rights Governance. The Country Office manages 61 active awards totalling US$165 million from a range of governmental/institutional donors, including DFID, ECHO, EU, FFP, OFDA, and DANIDA being some of our largest.
ROLE PURPOSE: The Senior MoLSA SAGAL Social Protection Technical Advisor will be responsible to provide technical advice in the design and implementation of social protection programming, which includes the design and piloting of social transfer models, the provision of capacity strengthening, advisory, policy and planning support to the SAGAL programme. The Senior MoLSA SAGAL Social Protection Technical Advisor will report to the Social Affairs Director and will work with the Senior MoLSA SAGAL Advisor and Senior MoLSA SAGAL Research Expert Advisor.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master's degree in social policy or social care, development economics, development international affairs, or a related field with at least 5 years of work experience in safety nets/social protection; or a bachelor's degree with at least 8 years of work experience in relevant fields.
- Proven record of knowledge, experience in working with the national governments in designing social protection/safety net policies and/or programmes.
- Demonstrated organization, initiative, and time management skills.
- Proven ability to solve problems and follow through with tasks with minimal supervision.
- Proven experience in advising, collaborating, building relationships and negotiating with high level Government officials, donor partners and diverse local stakeholders is required.
- Firsthand knowledge of fragile contexts and sensitivity to the underlying social, economic and cultural context, in particular, is desired.
- Readiness and proven ability to work in multi-cultural environment; and
Complete fluency and writing skills in English is required, spoken and written Somali is desired
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at
Application will be close on 11st April 2021.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents